Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cook Pesto in 15 minutes (or less)


Pasta has always been my comfort food. I can eat pasta everyday and it never fails to liven up a boring meal. But here's the problem, without my mom or restaurants I would never enjoy my favorite dish in the world. So, I guess it is about time to drag myself into the kitchen and face the challenge of pesto pasta cooking.

Fettuccine Pasta
Prepare a big pot with 3 quarts water, 1 tsp. Olive oil and pinch of salt
Wait until water is boiling before adding the pasta
Cook the pasta for 3-5 minutes
Pasta can be overcooked very quickly. Check for doneness by tasting it.
The pasta should be chewy, not too soft or hard on the center.
Drain Immediately

Basil Pesto Sauce
3 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsps. lemon juice
2 large garlic cloves

Process all ingredients in the OMNI Blender using the 60 second cycle, or until smooth.
Add the Basil Pesto paste to the Fetuccine Pasta and serve.

Notes:
I added another 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste.
I cannot find pine nuts so I used peanuts instead.

My pesto challenge was a success, I pulled it through with minimal inaccuracies. At first, the basil tang was over powering so I added more cheese, salt and pepper to balance the flavor. the good thing with cooking your own food is you can adjust the taste anytime you want according to your palate's desire not to mention the fun and happy feeling that you can play pretend chef in your own kitchen. =)




SmoothieJunkie


No comments:

Post a Comment