Tuesday, May 24, 2011

MY GUILTLESS REFRESHMENT

When I was a kid I love milk shakes; it was love at first sight. May it be strawberry, chocolate or vanilla topped with whipped cream with cocoa sprinkles or ice cream, it was scrumptious. When I grew older I am still addicted to milkshakes. Who would want to let go of that guilty pleasure, especially for a sweet tooth like me.
But like many relationships, we drifted apart. Meaning, I am no longer happy with my favourite beverage. I saw the flawed inner personality buried under the irresistible image it portrays (too much calories, sugar, weight gain, etc…) and realized I have to stop the habit.

But then again, it is a hard habit to break. So what I did was find a healthier alternative, something with the same taste, texture and appearance on the outside but beneficial to health and wellness.
Needless to say, a guiltless refreshment. To make the long story short, I fell in love with healthy smoothies (It sounds healthier rather than calling it a milk shake) and made it my everyday meal.

 Undoubtedly, A healthy green smoothie is not just a healthy food alternative but it is considered a full meal. Imagine your fruits and vegetables all in one glass, all natural and no preservatives.  I have witnessed the magic of all-green smoothies to a lot of people and I was convinced and motivated to try it myself.
Healthy smoothies have numerous benefits you can enjoy in no time! Here are some facts that I learned that made me a smoothie junkie:

  •        It is an ON THE GO breakfast choice, portable and easy to prepare.
  •         Does not require exact skill to make it perfect. You can experiment and only requires taste buds!
  •         Stabilize blood sugar and cholesterol
  •       Not sinfully costly
  •          Keeps you hydrated. Cannot totally replace water but its way better than coffee or soda.
  •          It keeps you from starvation and cravings at the same time.
  •          And but of course…. It makes you lose weight in no time. (Proven!)

Let me help you on how to start your daily smoothie meal.

        Make sure you have the following:

  1. ·         For newbies, start with your favourite fruit or vegetable one at a time(or two). For some, it took them a while to mix 5-6 fruits and veggies at the same time. Also, stay away from processed /canned fruits and high calorie ingredients.
    ·         Find a base. I suggest you start with coconut milk, yoghurt or soy milk.
    ·         Ice.  Optional; as for me I like it very cold.
    ·         A 3 HP high performance blender. This is a must if you want a smooth texture for your smoothies. (Personally, I use 3 HP OMNI V BLENDER. It is cheaper but with the same performance with the expensive ones in the market.)
    ·         A Recipe/ guidebook. This will help you make delectable smoothies.

Healthy green smoothies is starting to build a pedestal for stardom ( I call it the Bieber Fever of wellness). It is good to know that many people are now health conscious and very cautious with what they eat and don’t eat. Living healthy is fun. You may not realize it now but sooner or later (like me) you will. As I have said at the beginning of this article, smoothies, milk shakes or frappes are guilty pleasures. No matter how sinful they may be our taste buds won’t hesitate to grab those tempting beverages. So, all you need to do is is START making your own nutritious smoothie treat for a healthier new you!

Oh, and by the way….

RULE OF THUMB:  Always make sure your smoothies is all NATURAL for your body’s benefit.
Enjoy!!

Yours truly,

Smoothie Junkie

No comments:

Post a Comment